A decade ago, a celebration began at the Page Farm and Home Museum at
the University of Maine to pay tribute to the state's agricultural
That celebration is still going on at the museum, which, thanks in part
to a naming gift from Henry H. Page, is now home to an important Maine
collection of farm tools and technologies of rural culture.
The more than 6,700 artifacts in the collection relating to the farms
and farming communities of 1865–1940 range from antique kitchen utensils
to a fully restored 1920 Model T Ford. Permanent exhibits highlight
aspects of agricultural heritage, including animal husbandry, spinning,
crops, food processing and ice harvesting.
Last year, approximately 7,000 visitors — half of whom were
schoolchildren — toured the museum, curated by Patricia Henner.
The main building is a restored post-and-beam barn, built in 1863 before
UMaine was founded. Thanks to a successful $1 million fund-raising
campaign, an endowment fund at the University of Maine Foundation
provides a base budget for the museum's operation.
With assistance from benefactors, the Winston E. Pullen Carriage House
was constructed last year next to the barn. Also sited near the barn as
part of the museum are a blacksmith shop, a heritage garden and the
Harold & Marion Chute Schoolhouse, a restored, one-room schoolhouse from
Such resources for education and research provide much more than a
window to the past. By exploring conditions and philosophies in history,
the museum offers suggestions for the future.
UMaine Today Magazine
Department of University Relations
5761 Howard A. Keyo Public Affairs Building
Phone: (207) 581-3744 | Fax: (207) 581-3776